Tuesday 29 April 2008

Driving

So, I've been having lessons for a few weeks now. Have started to see myself being able to drive, although the thought of the test fills me with dread. My teacher Laura is so good. She is so patient and encouraging. She understands, or seems to, how different people learn. So six lessons in and some progress is being made. Having not had a lesson for about 25 years, I can still execute a perfect three point turn.
The motivation is Whitby, well Whitby and possibly Pete Cooper. The two pilgrimages. I love the thought of being able to put stuff in the car and drive door to door with it. Last time we went to Whitby, we went with two violins and three small suitcases. We came back with three violins, two guitars, a fishing rod and three small suitcases. It was a stressful journey home - although very scenic. Phil has got a replacment driving licence, and can officially drive, however he hasn't driven for about 25 years!! He's going to have some brushing up sessions with Laura, and hopefully, between us, we'll be able to drive to Whitby this summer. Driving is very stressful. In negative moments I ask myself 'is it worth it?' You only need to lose concentration for a split second and you, or somebody else, or both could be dead. I would rather travel stressfully by public transport than be dead, or kill somebody as a result of a momentary lapse in concentration. You see I am trying to talk myself out of it again. Actually, I'd rather drive there and back with all our luggage and arrive at both destinations safe and sound. Millions of people manage it every day, surely I'm up to the job?

No comments: