Wednesday 30 May 2007

Pete Cooper's bow hold

Went for my first fiddle lesson with Pete Cooper yesterday...It was quite a pilgrimage, a four hour round trip including the lesson! left Phil's work in Richmond at 5, home at 9....slow Silverlink train through Acton, Willesden, Hampstead - change at Gospel Oak, more waiting...dirty uncomfortable trains full of tired, end of the working day people...felt very different to the South West Trains Waterloo to Richmond journey. Depressing...but interesting, too - some great views across industrial wastelands to the city skyline around the Willesden area.
Have never been to Crouch Hill before, felt quite fresh and leafy- we were early for my lesson, so wandered about a bit before we went to Pete's flat, not enough time to have a drink /snack first, even though the Dairy looked really interesting, what a great building, must take the camera next time! still too early for the lesson- walked right up to the top of the hill to look at the view - beautiful, the air felt clean, lots of green; seemed like a hidden bit of London, probably just because I hadn't been there before, in fact I really don't know North London at all.
Went to Pete's flat anyway; it was fine, someone else was just at the end of their lesson- Phil got a chance to have a play with Pete and his student, that was fun- will I ever get good enough to just join in and intuitively harmonise like Phil can? I'm so used to reading music or even as a teenager writing down harmonies I've made up, will be hard to unlearn, although I've been inspired by Pete Cooper's musings on his website about playing by heart, and I'm determined, which I guess is more than half the battle.
Anyway, I was pretty nervous as while Phil has been teaching me, I can behave like a teenager/toddler when I can't do something, also am in my own space, so can stomp of to my room crying "can't do it" slam! yes, outrageous for a grown woman to be so childish...Knew this would not be an option in this arena...really until I began to play Flop Eared Mule, was still a bit anxious, but all was fine...gentle encouragement, useful tips about arm movements and so on, and then we got to the bow hold. That was almost it...I just couldn't do it, my arm and hand felt at once rigid and yet made of putty- I couldn't do what I thought I was supposed to be doing...almost a teenage moment...almost. Luckily Pete has put something on YouTube-Pete Cooper's Bow Hold- when he said it, I thought he said 'Pete Cooper's boho', in relation to his flat being warm and bohemian in a studenty, bookish way! (a scaled down version of our house!)
Reality far more prosaic and extremely useful...he showed me this bow hold clip from YouTube, which was good as it took the attention away from me for a few moments, and then we tried again- almost right, got quite frustrated at myself...then anyway onto the next tune, one I'd been practicing at home - 'O The Britches Full of Stitches' really this part was a perfect illustration of the difference between having a human teacher to show you things as opposed to learning just from a book, even if it is a really good book. We practiced the way of putting stresses on the bow to accent different notes and all too soon, the lesson was over, as a family of mandolin players arrived. The whole hour done without looking at any written music at all. Very good for my brain. Pete has assured me I will be 'Whitby ready' by mid August, which will be a miracle; we'll see.
Home again, wishing Crouch Hill was closer and that I could have a lesson every week- next one 3 weeks away.

No comments: