Wednesday 15 August 2007

Blogging from Whitby

Here I am in the Coliseum again, what a useful place, a nice cafe, cinema, theatre and all round community resource. £1 for half an hour. Bargain. Although it was relaxing when we arrived on Saturday, it's really chilled out now, all the regatta crowds have gone, and there is a several day lull before the folkies arrive. Time for me to get some serious fiddle practice in, if I am going to be fit to participate in any way fiddle-wise. Son had a low half day yesterday, claiming to be bored....after sleeping for the drizzly afternoon, we went for a reviving meal at the Khyber, and he is restored to good humour, enjoying a late night 'creepy' walk with Phil and a lot of gazing at various views with us both today.
After seeing a few bods fishing on the jetty by the lifeboat house, he announced that he wished he'd brought his fishing rods to Whitby after all, and could we front him with the funds for another. We agree, as he will be able to while away a good few hours doing this, which will be particularly useful when Phil and I are doing various workshops etc during folk week. He even said it would be quite nice to live here, a concept that Phil and I toy with on a regular basis. Whitby is so great, but really a pain to get to, which probably enhances the feeling of 'away from it all' remoteness that I love. The return journey will take about seven and a half hours, but has the advantage of being only by train all the way (apart from Kings X to Waterloo).
Tonight we may go to The Magpie; Ingrid Flute gave me a £10 voucher to use in there, as I'd mentioned their agency on this blog. Am not snacking on anything until then, so that I'm good and hungry for that treat. And no, I'm not going to partake of their famed fish and chips, but something more interesting of their varied menu. Hopefully we'll get a table by the window, as I can't get enough of soaking in the many and various views available. Was speaking to Nick, who I think manages the Coliseum, and he said he had only moved here recently, and what had stopped him doing so previously was, as with Phil and I, the responsibility for an ageing relative, in his case, his mum. She had told him to go, but I can't imagine my dad saying that, also, visiting him is a pleasure, too. It gives us space as well, to think about what we will do when he's not around any more, as it will be quite an opportunity to look at change. Hey ho, more soon, back to the flat for that fiddle practice.

1 comment:

Annie Wicking said...

The Magpie, you will be queueing for hours... We shall be up in Whitby in about a weeks time. My much beloved and have been coming up twice a year and staying at a B&B.
I have a new camera and I'm looking forward to taking lots of photos.

Best wishes
Annie