Sunday 2 December 2007

whirlwind

An exciting couple of weeks, not all good, not all bad...

Saw Katy, Donna and Penny on the 23rd, a sort of mini school reunion. Quite special, because they all came to say hello to Dad at one point or other during the afternoon. Katy in particular, had a lovely long chat to him, possibly one of his last long lucid chats before the recent madness started.
Anyway we had a great afternoon, Katy had to go back in the evening, so Donna and I met up with Penny at Dad's, and went to the Spotted Horse for dinner which was great. Phil and Robin, who was over from America for a few days joined us there. Later Penny, Donna and I went for a walk down by the river - it was very cold. Walked Penny back to near to Dad's, and then Donna and I stayed in a local hotel for the night. A blissful uninterrupted night of sleep, well approximately 5 hours by the time we'd stopped chatting and giggling and gone to sleep. Dad got iller recently and I got ill too. The third time since the end of August. I was so ill, I couldn't even go out to a folk thing at the Festival Hall on Tuesday. The biggest stress in the new Putney situation has been trying to get help from Wandsworth social services for my dad. It has been extremely difficult to get anywhere with them. Impossible to know what is available, and how to get it. When I have phoned to ask how the delivery of one or other promised service is progressing, I have been told it's up to me to chase it....It took one dedicated district nurse to pull out all the stops on Friday, and organise something in one day that social services have taken 3 months to sort out. Dianne, you are an angel. Anyway...Dad's in hospital now, and won't come home until everything's in place for him, so a result all round.
Very strange (and relaxing) being at Dad's flat without him in it.

No comments: