Monday 31 March 2008

Are Bellowhead the new Fairport?

Yes, yes I say. Recommended to me by Geraldine Stephenson at Whitby, when I was bemoaning the absence of a big complex sound at Whitby, or in folk generally that could match Fairport or say Pentangle. Something fresh and enthusing, not tired and cheesy. Tired and cheesy....this summons up for me how Fairport became. Saw them in their 90s incarnation at the Waterman's. Absolutely nothing of the creativity and vigour of the music that they produced on Liege and Lief or Full House. A depressing experience, one which I have no wish to repeat.

Anyway, came back from Whitby and downloaded Bellowhead's Burlesque. Loved it immediately, especially the instrumentals - very similar to the gutsiness and musicianship of Fairport's jigs and reels. Some of the singing was a bit irritating to begin with, but the vocals have grown on me. Anyway a couple of months after discovering Bellowhead, they hosted the Festival Hall Christmas party - it was brilliant, very exciting....quite a few of the Brentford yummy mummies and a daddy or two were in our group. Di got it together. I hope Bellowhead do another gig there soon though, apparently they are the 'band in residence' or something at the South Bank Centre. I've also listened to quite a bit of Spiers and Boden on their own. Also exciting - lovely songs, mostly arrangements of traditional ones, but made to feel quite modern. More please...sadly no evidence of more gigs at the Southbank centre or anywhere else in London for a while. What's going on?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Bellowhead are still artists in residence, but due to all kinds of other commitments the residency will probably be split over a longer period of time than just a year. The next event is tentatively scheduled for August 08 - meanwhile we're touring in April - see www.bellowhead.co.uk for details. Glad you liked the album - no.2 will be along shortly!

helen said...

Hello Pete and thanks for the news - I really hope the Southbank thing won't be when I'm in Whitby...16th Aug for 2 weeks !!!!
I saw the April tour news, but none of that's in London. Maybe we'll try and escape the big city if there's something somewhere convenient by train!
Looking forward to the new album, Bellowhead really are a breath of fresh and enthusiastic air in what can be a rather conservative and rarified folk world.
Helen

helen said...

also thanks to you Dieta, glad you liked my blog, yours is interesting, too!