Tuesday 12 June 2007

second homes

Been thinking about second homes for a while know, especially given the temptation at times to get a little place near the sea, in Whitby, or another favourite place, Walton on the Naze...not that we could really afford it, however we have rented other people's second homes. Ideally I don't think people should have second homes, because it creates problems for the year round community, especially when things are quiet out of season. Local people say they can no longer afford to buy properties in their own villages...

Although I'm not sure that I agree with people having second homes, I do believe people should be able to buy a home where they would like to live ie in a village or by the sea, but that they should make that their only home and become part of the community. Local people in small communities should maybe get some assistance to buy or fairly rent their homes and be able to stay and work in the areas where their families have lived, although I don't know how these things would be decided, In London, very few people can live in a part of London they would like to, eg I was born in Chelsea and grew up in Putney, but could I ever afford to live in either of those places now? I don't think so.

No comments: