Friday 22 June 2007

This week

It's Friday, I'm just back from tap, any of my fellow tappers looking for the big entry about tap, welcome....scroll back to early June and "Tipetty Tap" more photos will be posted tomorrow

A lot of fun has been had this week, but have been neglecting this blog...Monday we went to see Roky Erickson at the Festival Hall as part of this year's Meltdown festival. If anyone doesn't know, he was part of the 13th Floor Elevators a very psychedelic band from the 60s and when I say psychedelic- they were so 'far out' they didn't let Jimi Hendrix join as he didn't do enough drugs! I used to really enjoy their music- the two albums I knew were Easter Everywhere (more accessible) and Bull of the Woods (more wierd)
Anyway- before he came on there were concerns about what he would be like- he'd been in some kind of institution for the mentally unwell for years and become very unwell himself- now, he is well again, enough to play gigs and enjoy life generally! the gig was excellent he mainly played blues, with lyrics he'd made up, I think, at least one, 'Don't Slander Me' from the early days. I couldn't hear some of them properly as they didn't make sense, but then I thought I may well have heard correctly.
Wednesday had a great day generally as my daughter got the results of her degree- a 2:1 and lots of good grades within that- excellent news- anyway she came to streetdance with me for the second week, and quite enjoyed it this time, people there are so friendly and remembered her from last week and chatted to her. We went next door to Pizza Organic afterwards - we could smell a lovely garlic bread smell wafting through into the class from there earlier so it was an easy decision- delicious olives and a celebratory glass of wine each- very nice..the week sped by to Thursday and we went to see another Meltdown show- this time, Cornershop. The only music I'd ever heard by them, to my knowledge, anyway is Brimful of Asha which I always really liked- especially the Fatboy Slim remix- but the best thing about both nights at Meldown, was Cornershop's support band Jeffrey Lewis and the Jitters; they were so clever , artistic and funny, I will be seeking out as much info and downloadable music as I can about them- the lyrics were so quick though I must have missed loads of the humour and general brilliance.
Cornershop were great- the variety of instruments and musicianship- a lot of what they did was kind of dance music- trippy , particularly when coupled with the slideshow; even when not remotely chemically enhanced, even by a glass of wine; great stuff though and I'll be looking for an album, definitely to enjoy in a more laid back manner at home.
All the fun broken up by work, which has been ok but hard to get back into after my recent time off.
Good to come home this evening and then after a square or two of chocolate, off to tap, yes tap- wonderful invention...the man came back for the second week, and has made amazing progress; I think it took me about two months to accomplish what he has! Three more new people-hooray! our class is a joyous, ever changing place to be at the end of the week...and my hip is feeling MUCH better thanks to gruelling physio.

No comments: