Sunday 8 July 2007

Last week/this week

The weeks are still rolling by (not long 'til Whitby!!!!!!) and very hectic too. Hydra, Koumihead and the boys went back to America last week...we might not see them for some time. We went to the Harvester and had a lot of fun, food and wine. Sad to see them go, wish they weren't so far away.
On Wednesday, I went to my streetdance class which was good; daughter has begun to enjoy it, and brought her friend with her, too....graduation ceremony soon, I am a very proud mum as she got a 2:1...great fun to be with her and help her make plans; next was Thursday. We had a musicians and choir planning meeting at Mary's. We all took some food and wine- it was a brilliant evening and what was especially nice, was that I happened to mention that in two years time it will Phil and my 10th wedding anniversary; also my 50th birthday....but what I was really saying was that we probably wouldn't have our do at St Paul's, due to hassle, early finish, clearing up etc etc. Anyway everybody there completely changed my mind about it, they all offered to help, cooking, flower arranging, generally organising, I did a complete turnaround in about 1 minute, what lovely people and thank you all! it's a date! Phil was busy chatting to someone else during this decision making, but very happy too. What is really nice about being part of St Paul's church and I'm sure the same goes for many other churches, religious groups and community organisations is that sometimes you get this really warm feeling of being part of something that is all good. I also get the same feeling from being part of my local community generally; a very friendly place; I rarely leave my house without seeing and stopping to chat to someone I know. Quite often the conversation among the yummy mummies of Brentford (of which I'm an honorary member)turns to how we'll buy a house together to be a sort of commune, and all look after each other when we're old and incapable. Sometimes I wonder if I'll stay here, but at the moment it feels like a yes. After all the only other place I'd rather live is, you've guessed it, Whitby. Anyway, we did a little bit of planning for the Autumn term's music. It all felt quite anarchic in some way, especially after a couple of glasses of wine!all of us suggesting music not only different to each other, but certainly very different to the choices usually on offer at church which can be mundane at times.
Friday: not tap this time, but the pilgrimage to Pete Cooper in Crouch Hill. What a journey through the grotty parts of London- see entries for a month or so ago for further tales of this- When we got out at Crouch Hill it was quite fun as there were a few mildly crazy seeming people wandering about quite harmlessly, and one elderly gent was shouting bizarre compliments at me. Anyway it is a true pilgrimage, as not only is there a guru at the end of it, but there is a very steep hill to climb up to get to him. It was a lovely summer evening and as we reached the hallowed flat, we could hear sweet violin music wafting on the air. As we were early, we sat on his doorstep and soaked up the music and the view. The lesson was fun and somehow although it seems relaxed I felt like my brain had worked really hard. There was another almost tantrum moment when Phil said something to me, but I rememebred where I was and kept myself reasonably under control. The violin is very, very difficult, but I am making progress even if in pigeon steps rather than leaps and bounds, and I'm really glad I'm learning it! Not sure I'm quite ready for a 'session' at Whitby yet, but Pete's going to check the Folk week programme anad suggest things that I might be able to cope with.
When we got back to Brentford, I'd foolishly offered to help Helen, the vicar's wife entertain/clear up after some clergy and related people. I think it was the deanery dinner or something. I felt really stressed when I got there, as although there was lots of refreshment available to me, there was nowhere to sit. My goodness, no-one offered me a seat. I was directed to where some chairs were, and had to awkwardly squash myself past lots of people who wouldn't excuse me, and their precariously balanced glasses of wine, to reach a chair, then carry it back to where my food was. Anyway all ok and good fun after that. Felt a bit wierd as I hadn't seen the dear son since the morning due to pilgrimage...Phil was at home though from 9ish, and then came to get me from vicarage,sorry, rectory and help the rector with the whisky. We left at about 1am I think, with lovely chocolates made by lovely Mark, to give lovely son. No more room to write about Sat/sun here, this one's getting long and cumbersome.

No comments: