Monday 2 July 2007

Not Long Now

Only five and a bit weeks until we go to Whitby again- when I started this blog, it was nearly three months away...time whizzes by, when you're having fun, which I certainly am. Out nearly every night, lots music, lots of wine, and lots of different friends.
On Wednesday, we went out with Derek, our vicar and Helen, his wife- by a strange co-incidence, they know an old schoolfriend of Phil's, Tim, also a vicar that Derek met at vicar school, and he was in London so we all went out down by the canal for food and wine. It was bizarre when we got to the lock, as lots of children were whizzing about in kayaks - these were children of the yummy mummies and daddies we know, who were there too- it was all lovely and very wet, although not wet for us for long as we rushed into the dry of Prezzo. Lots of nice chat and food and drink and then it was quite late so I went home and Phil went to the rectory for a nightcap or two.
On Thursday I further broke my period of abstention by going out for a drink with Katie...one has to do things properly after all. We went to the Lord Nelson, a very comfortable pub in a quirky corner of Brentford. I couldn't even finish glass number two, as I'm so desperately out of practice. It was really good- yummy mums in abundance, including a couple I hadn't seen for some time. We all told each other secrets, and felt warm and friendly. When I went to the bar, it was so smoky, I thought this will be such a lovely pub after July 1st. A photography friend of Katies was in there to take a few pictures of the smokers last gasps inside the building.
Friday, tap of course, and as the dear son was away at his father's, Phil came to meet me and we went to the Hare and Tortoise for sushi, wine and noodles. I only managed one glass of wine there, what's wrong with me?
Saturday; an excellent day. Off to my dad's to see my brother, Koumihead and the lovely Hydra and their cute sons, my nephews, and one, my Godson!!!They live in America, but I see them much more often than either off my other two brothers. What was extra nice was Barney came too. My brother Barney of No-Hit records and Sounds that Swing...I'll put a link to his shop up on the side of the blog...felt bad that neither of my two children were there, as they love their uncles. I had a few brilliant games of backgammon and its near but obscure sequel games with Barn- he is one of the very few people who can beat me; I lost 4-1 although I won the last game.
Then Phil and I had to rush back again to go out with our friends Di, Paul and Richard to see Lou Reed at Hammersmith Odeon. Had forgotten what a great venue it is- up in the bar, as I walked around, I could hear loads of different people saying 'I haven't been here since....' or 'the last gig I saw here was.....'
As for myself, the last gigs I saw there were in the 80s, and I think the very last was John Lee Hooker...great to see the legend, but not that exciting musically. I also saw Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Leonard Cohen and Donovan there amongst others.
Lou Reed was freally good; he was presenting his album Berlin. There was a children's choir, and a small orchestra, guitars/bass and drums. It was a full on experience and he was a generous performer. He played beautiful updates/arrangements of a couple of familiar songs for his encores. It was excellent all being out together, a bit like being teenagers again, travelling on the bus, going to the pub (before and after the show) laughing on the bus on the way home. Poor Richard got off the bus a couple of stops before his, though. Phil and I invited ourselves back to Di and Paul's for further refreshment and dragged Tracey in too, who we discovered returning home from other fun. Lots of happy and sad poignant conversation. Di and I congratulated ourselves during the evening on how very lucky we are with all our friends-in number and variety. Lucky us!

4 comments:

hydra said...

Koumihead and I (and our cute sons) always enjoy these get togethers. One of these days I shall have to play Barney in backgammon but he is busy trouncing his siblings. Later in our visit, we did get to see our niece and nephew when we went out for a fun dinner.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

It was the backgammon comment I was trying to remember yesterday evening. Have we ever shown you our Guinness themed board? Fancy a few games over the summer in the garden while drinking Pimms?

helen said...

Haha, yes Ger, dear neighbour! Pimms and backgammon, soon I hope. Never saw the Guinness board, but you've mentioned it. See you v. soon xx